Alex Venezia b.1993 Virginia Beach, Virginia; currently lives in Raleigh, North Carolina. Working at East Oaks Studio.
Primarily a self taught painter, Alex Venezia, first became aware of the transcendent power of art during a high-school art lesson on chiaroscuro while examining the works of Caravaggio. This class marked a unique turning point for the young student as he began to consider a vocation in the arts. Searching for new art experiences he frequented the Chrysler Museum of Art in Norfolk, Virginia where he was able to fill his eyes with the works of the Masters and make copies. Venezia has sought out and studied classical technique with many of todays top representational painters including: Colleen Barry, Daniel Sprick, Michael Klein, and Jeff Hein. "In his words, Inspiration comes in many forms, and usually far from the easel, but there’s nothing like seeing the work of an artist that you hold in high regard in person. It has a way of putting me in my place and motivating me to become a better painter." And so it has. Most recently Venezia took home the 2017 first place prize in the Still Life Competition at the prestigious Grand Central Atelier in New York.
Alex Venezia has been a featured artist in Southwest Art Magazine, 21 Under 31: Young Artists to Watch in 2016 and BuzzFeed article 5 Artistic Prodigies 21 And Under. He is the recipient of numerous awards and has participated in many group shows both in his home state of Virginia and throughout the United Sates. He currently lives and maintains a studio in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Director, Collins Galleries. Orleans, Massachusetts, USA
· Arcadia Contemporary : "Americans In Paris" - Group Exhibition - Pasadena, CA. May 2018
· Eleventh Street Arts : "XII" - Group Exhibition - Queens, NY. July 2017
· Collins Galleries : "SUMMER SALON" - Group Exhibition - Orleans, MA. July 2017
· 1ST PLACE : Grand Central Atelier Still Life Competition - Queens, NY. June 2017
· Principle Gallery "Root To Bloom": Group Exhibition - Alexandria, VA. November 2016
· Solo show at Dacia Gallery, “LONGING” -New York City. October 2016
· Southwest Art Magazine “21 Under 31: Young Artists to Watch in 2016” Sep. 2016 Issue
· Work Currently in Abend Gallery, Denver CO and Richard Stravits 30th Street Gallery, Virginia Beach, VA.
· 670 Gallery “Without Hope/Without Fear” 3 Man Show, June 2016. Hampton VA
· “5 Artistic Prodigies 21 And Under” Article posted to Buzzfeed
· Abend Gallery’s Miniatures Show 2015-2016
· Southwest Art Magazine. Finalist in Artistic Excellence competition, December Issue 2015
· Virginia Artists Exhibition, Juried Exhibition at the Charles H. Taylor Art Center, Hampton, VA – 2015
· 2nd Place people’s choice award “Fabulous Forgeries” Juried Exhibition, The Artists Gallery, Virginia Beach, VA - 2015
· Virginia Artists Exhibition, Juried Exhibition at the Charles H. Taylor Art Center, Hampton, VA – 2014
· "Red Mill Life Magazine" - Front cover artwork and 4 page spread interview with images, a Virginia Beach local magazine. - 2014
· "Artist's Blok Magazine" - Aspiring artist of the month, 8 page spread interview with images, Hampton Roads Magazine. – 2014
· Eyes Wide Open, Juried Exhibition at the Portsmouth Arts and Cultural Center, Portsmouth, VA - 2014
· Chrysler Museum's TIME group Exhibition at the Seldon Gallery, Norfolk, VA - 2013
· Award of Merit in The International Association for the Study of Dreams Art Show, Virginia Beach, VA - 2013
· 1st Place "Figuratively Speaking"(human figure) Juried Exhibition, The Artists Gallery, Virginia Beach, VA - 2013
· 2nd Place “The Dance” Juried Exhibition, The Artists Gallery, Virginia Beach, VA - 2013
· 3rd Place scholarship winner in the Chesapeake Bay Art Association/Spring Art show, Norfolk, VA – 2012
· 1st Place Vans' Custom Culture Art Show presented by Coastal Edge, Virginia Beach, VA - 2012.
Summary of art education:
Studied with artists,
- Odd Nerdrum (The Nerdrum School)
- Colleen Barry (Figure Structure workshop)
- Daniel Sprick (Painting The Interior workshop)
- Jeff Hein (Portrait painting workshop)
- Michael Klein (Floral painting workshop)
- Joshua LaRock (Portrait painting workshop)
- Casey Baugh (Portrait painting workshop)
- Darren Kingsley and Peter Kelsey (Form Painting with the Figure)
- John De La Vega (Painting the portrait and figure in oils)
- Ken Olaes Garcia (Drawing the human figure) (Rendering the human figure in oil) (The academic approach to oil painting/ Caravaggio master copy class)
- Semester @ Virginia Commonwealth University of the Arts